Un Retrato de España by Jane Cronin
Do you know how long the Moors ruled in Spain? Have you heard of the scourge of Almanzor, the Catholic monarchs or the Black Legend? When did the Spanish civil war start, and why? How long has Spain been a democracy and what were the events that led up to it? Who is in charge of the country now and what challenges do they face?
The answers to all these questions and hundreds more are to be found in Jane Cronin’s new Spanish language and history course entitled “Un Retrato de España – A Portrait of Spain”.
The course is based on Jane´s highly popular “A Portrait of Spain” talks which were delivered over a number of years at different venues in and around Torrevieja, Orihuela Costa and the Mar Menor. The talks were attended by hundreds of people who were fascinated to learn more about the country they had chosen to live in.
This course consists of 40 short texts in Spanish which are accompanied by an audio file of the same text in clear spoken Spanish and an English translation. This variety of formats gives you the opportunity to approach the course in various ways, depending on your level of Spanish and style of learning. At the end of each text there are 8 simple questions which require one word or short answers based on the information given. As with several of Jane’s successful internet courses, you have direct contact with her as your tutor as the course is conducted by e-mail. At the end of each chapter, when you send in your ten answers, you will receive a reply with the correct answers along with the next text, audio and translation.
The cost of the course is 40€ (just 1€ per chapter). This price is a standard one-off payment. However, it is perfectly possible to start at a point in the course other than chapter 1 according to your personal interests, as long as you clearly state your preference.
Here is a list of the 40 chapters:
1. INTRODUCCIÓN - INTRODUCTION
2. LOS PRIMEROS IBERICOS - THE FIRST IBERIANS
3. LA PRESENCIA ROMANA EN IBERIA - THE ROMAN PRESENCE IN IBERIA
4. LOS VISIGODOS - THE VISIGOTHS
5. LA LLEGADA DE LOS MOROS - THE ARRIVAL OF THE MOORS
6. LA CREACIÓN DE AL-ÁNDALUS - THE CREATION OF AL-ANDALUS
7. EL CALIFATO DE CÓRDOBA - THE CALIPHATE OF CORDOBA
8. LA CAÍDA DEL CALIFATO - THE FALL OF THE CALIPHATE
9. LAS TAIFAS Y LOS REINOS CRISTIANOS - THE TAIFAS AND THE CHRISTIAN KINGDOMS
10. LOS ALMORÁVIDES - THE ALMORAVIDS
11. LA RECONQUISTA - THE RECONQUEST
12. LA CAÍDA DE GRANADA - THE FALL OF GRANADA
13. LOS REYES CATÓLICOS Y SUS HEREDEROS - THE CATHOLIC MONARCHS AND THEIR HEIRS
14. EL AUGE DEL IMPERIO ESPAÑOL - THE DAWN OF THE SPANISH EMPIRE
15. LA LEYENDA NEGRA - THE BLACK LEGEND
16. HIDALGOS Y AVENTUREROS - KNIGHTS AND ADVENTURERS
17. LA EDAD DE VELÁZQUEZ - THE AGE OF VELAZQUEZ
18. EL FINAL DE LOS HABSBURGO - THE END OF THE HAPSBURGS
19. LA GUERRA DE LA SUCESIÓN ESPAÑOLA - THE WAR OF SPANISH SUCCESSION
20. ESPAÑA SE MODERNIZA - SPAIN MODERNISES
21. EL PERIODO NAPOLEÓNICO - THE NAPOLEONIC PERIOD
22. LA GUERRA DE LA INDEPENDENCIA - THE WAR OF INDEPENDENCE
23. EL REGRESO DE “EL DESEADO” - THE RETURN OF “THE DESIRED ONE”
24. LA CAÍDA Y EL AUGE DE LA MONARQUÍA - THE FALL AND RISE OF THE MONARCHY
25. PRINCIPIOS DEL SIGLO XX - THE START OF THE 20th CENTURY
26. LOS PRIMEROS AÑOS DEL GENERAL FRANCO - GENERAL FRANCO’S EARLY YEARS
27. LA SEGUNDA REPUBLICA - THE SECOND REPUBLIC
28. UN GOLPE MILITAR FALLIDO - A FAILED MILITARY COUP
29. EL INICIO DE LA GUERRA CIVIL ESPAÑOLA - THE START OF THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR
30. EL FIN DE LA GUERRA CIVIL ESPAÑOLA - THE END OF THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR
31. LOS AÑOS DE HAMBRE - THE YEARS OF HUNGER
32. EL PERIODO DE AISLAMIENTO - THE PERIOD OF ISOLATION
33. LEGITIMIZACIÓN - LEGITIMISATION
34. LOS AÑOS DE DESARROLLO - THE YEARS OF DEVELOPMENT
35. EL FIN DEL PERÍODO FRANQUISTA - THE END OF THE FRANCOIST PERIOD
36. LA TRANSICIÓN - THE TRANSITION
37. LAS PRIMERAS ELECCIONES - THE FIRST ELECTIONS
38. LOS AÑOS OCHENTA - THE EIGHTIES
39. EL PARTIDO POPULAR DE AZNAR - AZNAR’S PEOPLE’S PARTY
40. CRISIS Y AUSTERIDAD - CRISIS AND AUSTERITY
CONCLUSIÓN: MIRANDO AL FUTURO - CONCLUSION: LOOKING TO THE FUTURE
We only accept payments via PayPal but you do not need a PayPal account to do this. You can pay with a debit/credit card via Paypal. Paying online with a credit/debit card via PayPal. This link opens in a new browser window.
Ten thousand years ago a deadly virus appeared in North-East Africa. The virus spread through the air, attacking skin cells, bone marrow, spleen and lymph nodes, smallpox had arrived.In 1350[…]Read more...
Hace diez mil años un virus letal apareció en el noreste africano. El virus se traspasaba por el aire, atacando la piel, médula ósea, bazo y ganglios linfáticos, había llegado[…]Read more...
One of the first high profile female nationalists in the movement for Ghana’s independence, victim of cultural production of ignorance.Read more...
Una de las primeras mujeres nacionalistas de alto perfil en el movimiento para la independencia de Ghana, víctima de la producción cultural de ignorancia.Read more...
Before entering into the subject of the next federal assimilation programme, namely adoption, we must turn to another important and inspiring historic moment in Native American history: the rise of[…]Read more...